The Lesser Slave Lake Bird Observatory’s Songbird Festival is an annual celebration of spring migration happening on May 30 & 31, 2020. The festival began in 1994, the same year that the society was formed. The Songbird Festival was originally held at the migration monitoring station, but now the Boreal Centre for Bird Conservation is the host of all the events.
The Songbird Festival is a fun and educational weekend for both families and birders alike. Every year the festival kicks off bright and early on Saturday with our early bird pancake breakfast. After breakfast there are a variety of guided birding hikes, nature workshops and tours of our migration monitoring station to take part in. There’s also lots of hands on activities for the entire family including facing painting, birdhouse building and crafts.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
25th Annual Songbird Festival
Saturday, May 30th: 6:00 am to 1:30 pm
- Early-Bird Pancake Breakfast ($) kicks off at 6:30 am for everyone attending the morning events. Later, you can check out our tasty BBQ lunch! ($)
- Guided Birding Hikes (2) will be departing the Boreal Centre at 7 & 8 am with some of our favourite birders. Head out on the Trans-Canada Trail to discover some of migratory birds that have arrived for the festival and just enjoy the beautiful bird songs. Walk also includes a stop at the Lesser Slave Lake Bird Observatory (LSLBO).
- Tours of the Lesser Slave Lake Bird Observatory will be departing every hour from 7 to 11 am. Catch the bus down to the LSLBO to see their migration monitoring programs in action, and you might have the chance to see one of these tiny birds up close.
- Fun Hands-on Children’s Activities available all morning including bird house building ($), crafts, scavenger hunts, and more!
- Drop in Programs and Nature Workshops from 10:00 am to 1:30 pm.
- Special Presentations and Drop in programs to be confirmed! We are still planning our day
Boreal Birding Passport! Spending the weekend in the Slave Lake area? Make sure to pick up your Birding Passport at the Boreal Centre and check out some of our local birding hotspots!
All proceeds from the events this weekend directly support the research and education programs at the Lesser Slave Lake Bird Observatory. Thank you for support
For more information about the Songbird Festival please contact us at 780-849-8240.
16th Annual Bird Run/Walk – Sunday, May 31st
On Sunday, May 31st, the annual Bird Run/Walk takes place. This is a fun, 5 or 10 km walk, run or bike along the Trans-Canada trail departing from the Boreal Centre for Bird Conservation. This family friendly event is an annual highlight!
Registration Fee; $10 which includes race refreshments and an Adopt-a-Bird certificate for their participation.
To sign up for the Bird Run/Walk, please fill out the Registration Form and return to us. We just ask that you hand in your registration forms to the Boreal Centre by 9:30 AM on the day of the event.
For more information, contact us at 780-849-8240 or email email@example.com
The Annual Bird Run/Walk