Despite the ongoing world of COVID< we are finally be able to host our 25th Annual Songbird Festival this spring. This local birding festival is an annual celebration of Spring Migration in the boreal forest including tours of the LSLBO, nature workshops, birding hikes, children’s activities, and of course, everyone favorite, the early bird Pancake Breakfast.
Saturday, May 28 – Songbird Festival
Boreal Centre for Bird Conservation, Lesser Slave Lake Provincial Park.
6:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Celebrate Spring Migration with a morning of birding fun at the Boreal Centre. Activities include:
· Neal Knoot Pancake Breakfast & BBQ – coffee and pancakes will be ready starting at 6:30 am for the “early birds” with tasty burgers available for lunch. Generously sponsored by Vanderwell Contractors Ltd.
· Guided Birding Walks will start departing at 7 am and 8 am. Head out with some of our favourite birders and spot some of the beautiful wood warblers arriving each day during spring migration.
· Lesser Slave Lake Bird Observatory Tours will be departing from 7 am until noon. Hop on the bus for the chance to experience the work of the researchers at the station and hopefully experience these tiny songbirds up close!
· Birdhouse and Bird Feeder building available for the kids all morning.
· Special Nature Workshops: Boreal Forest Nature Hike and Bird Songs of the Boreal Forest
· Fun for all ages including crafts, hands-on activities and special guest drop in programs
For more information, contact us at email@example.com or 780-849-8240.
Sunday, May 29 – 16th Annual Bird Run/Walk (5K/10K)
Join us for this fun 5K/10K run/walk through the beautiful boreal forest trails around the Boreal Centre for Bird Conservation. Surrounded by the songs of birds, it is a great way to enjoy the arrival of spring! Trails are well marked with wide packed gravel and grass surfaces. This event is suitable for all ages and dogs are welcome as long as they are on a leash.
The “race” kicks off at 10:00 am sharp from the Boreal Centre for Bird Conservation.
Entry Fee: $10/person
Entries can be mailed to: LSLBO, Box 1076, Slave Lake, AB T0G 2A0 or dropped off no later than 9:30 am on Sunday morning.
Entry Fee includes refreshments during/after event and a certificate for an adopt-a-bird from the boreal forest!
For more information, Phone: (780) 849-8240
Thank you for supporting the Lesser Slave Lake Bird Observatory!